Monday, February 23, 2015

Library Haul - 2/22/15

[my family has chic-est tablecloth, this side of 1983]

I'm starting to think I need to steal one of those small half-carts they have at Whole Foods for when I go to the library.

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - currently reading and will probably finish today
Veronica Mars: Mr. Kiss & Tell by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham
Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg
Killer Instinct: A Naturals Novel by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - review to be posted this week!
The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May & June by Robin Benway
Shadowland by Kate Brian
The Competition by Marcia Clark
Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky
Fallen by Lauren Kate
Nameless by Lili St. Crow I wanted to love this, but the altered reality the story is set in, is just too complex. I felt more confused with the terminology, rather than piqued or engrossed. Spending multiple chapters filling the reader in can be tedious, but it can be done (in fact, she did a much better job at it in her Strange Angels series).
Nobody by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - tried to read it this weekend & just couldn't get into it


I may not review every book I read...though I will do my best to. That being said, sometimes there are books you just can't get into. This week, it was Nobody by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. As you can tell from the books I've checked out, I'm a fan of her writing (go read The Squad books, NOW!). I thought the teaser on the inner jacket was interesting. But we all have our tastes. I felt like this one was very narrative driven, while I personally prefer books with more dialogue. I also felt like the characters rambled and repeated themselves a lot. I may have gotten 50 pages in before I finally pulled the plug. Warning: if I'm a fan of an author, I tend to give the book a shot, longer than I normally would. Examples: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han lasted all of about 30 pages. I ended up reading all of All Fall Down by Ally Carter. even though I found myself struggling to get into it (I intend to write a review on this one!).

I hope to have my review of The Naturals and Killer Instinct: A Naturals Novel (a two-fer review!) up by Wednesday!

You can check back on this post to see my progress with this recent haul.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment